We are thrilled to announce the receipt of a $5,000 grant from Wells Fargo to support the activities of our Community Engagement Specialist, Carolyn Wilson. We believe creating partnerships with other community organizations adds stability to both the resident families and the entire neighborhood. The role of Community Engagement has greatly expanded as our construction of affordable housing has grown. The grant will support several Community Engagement projects including:
- 20 girls and 4 leaders involved in Girl Scout Troop 1744 including registration and dues, craft supplies, snacks for meetings, school year day trip registrations, and Summer Camp Registrations.
- Refreshments and annual dues for monthly meetings of 3 Neighborhood Associations in the communities where we have housing; Nicholtown, Greenline/Spartanburg, Haynie-Syrrine.
- Back to School Bash is held every fall before the start of school to encourage school success and reinforce Genesis’ support of educational achievement in our families. We give our school age kids supplies, backpacks and gift cards as incentives to do well in school each year.
- Each year in early December, Genesis hosts a family Christmas Social of dinner, giving poinsettias and gift cards to our families to show them we care about them. We also host a separate Christmas luncheon for our seniors at a local restaurant to give them the opportunity to celebrate the season with each other.
- Little Girls Recreational Basketball team in a league serving 5-8 year old girls from our Greenline/Spartanburg community
- End of Year Education Accomplishment Awards- giving gift cards and monetary awards for high school/college graduates
- 20 adult women participating in a monthly get together – “Ladies’ Night Out;” which includes refreshments, social time and crafts to give to local nursing home residents.
- Pretty For A Day Makeover/Spa Days are especially for our seniors to be treated to a day in the beauty salon. Stylists volunteer their time and talent to cut and style hair, manicures and pedicures for seniors who would not have transportation or money for such a spa day.
We are proud to provide these initiatives and grateful to Wells Fargo for their support in making our neighborhoods prosper.